07 September 2011

Not Father's Day Pancakes

Sunday was Father's Day (here in Australia at least) - with my Dad down south, Hubby's dad in America and Pecan still in my belly (and staying that way until mid November little Miss or Mister!) we didn't do a special breakfast on Sunday. Instead I switched it up and cooked pancakes on Saturday because what else do you do when you wake up at 630am!?

I got this recipe off www.taste.com.au specifically: 

They were thick because of the self-raising flour and if you prefer thinner pancakes I'd use plain flour (all purpose) but I'm starting to enjoy the thicker American style of pancakes so I went with the self-raising. Also take note that you need to let the batter rest in the fridge for 30 minutes! This fed the two of us well (or 2.5 I should say), I'd double if you're planning on cooking for more than 2 hungry people.



Ingredients
  • 2 cups Self-Raising Flour
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 2 cups Milk (+ extra if required)
  • 2 eggs
  • 60g melted butter + extra 'grease' butter
Extras to Serve:
  • Strawberries
  • Maple Syrup
  • Sugar
  • Lemon

 





Method

1. Sift flour & salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre (why does this remind me of childhood cooking!).
2. Whisk together milk & eggs. Add the milk mixture to the bowl (pouring into the well) and whisk constantly until a smooth batter forms.
3. Stir in the butter. Cover and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
4. Heat a large frypan over medium heat. Add a little bit of the 'grease' butter. Pour 1/3 cup of the mixture into the pan - or alternatively do what I did and pour in what you think is good!
5. Cook for 2-3 minutes (and don't worry the first one is always a dud) or until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and then cook for 1-2 minutes
6. Transfer to a plate and cover with a tea-towel to keep warm. Repeat the above mentioned steps whilst your fellow pancake comrade or comrades set an awesome table for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment